Create the Perfect Unboxing Experience for Your Customers
If you’re an ecommerce company you’ve probably thought about the question “How can I differentiate my brand and make consumers remember me?” Now there are many ways to answer that question but one simple and often overlooked options is the package you ship your product in.
It might sound crazy but just take a minute to think about it, the shipped package represents a direct and physical touch point with the customer. It is also one that you 100% know the customer will experience (I mean they’re obviously going to open their package) and yet the unboxing experience remains one of the most under-utilized marketing opportunities for merchants.
This week we’re going to teach you just how important the unboxing experience is and give you the tools to deliver an unforgettable experience to your own customers.
Creating a Branded Packing Experience
Simply put, a branded packaging experience is when you as a business take control of the unboxing experience. Through the selection of high-quality packaging and shipping materials as well as the thoughtful presentation of your products you can make your customer feel special and part of something exclusive. A branded packing experience creates additional value for your customer and provides a memorable (and sharable) experience.
Thrive Market is a perfect example company that has taken the customer unboxing experience seriously. From the moment the branded box arrives it’s clear that a lot of effort and thought has gone into the unboxing experience.
Elements of Branded Packaging
Depending on what your business offers you probably use some the below elements to get your orders from your warehouse to a customer. Even if you don’t use all them, thinking about each element can help you deliver the best experience. Picking just a few of these items and making them special will go a long way in creating more memorable experience for your customers.
- Box – The biggest element to consider is the main shipping box. The box represents the biggest opportunity to begin creating a unique experience buy it can also be one of the most expensive.
- Tissue Paper – Adding tissue paper adds an extra level of mystery and excitement during the unboxing experience. Using branded custom printed paper means customers associate that feeling with your company.
- Sticker – Stickers are very versatile, inexpensive, and can be used in several ways. If you use tissue paper, a branded sticker can be used to seal the tissue paper together adding a company ‘seal of approval’ to the customers purchase.
- Promotional Card – During an unboxing you have 100% of a customer’s attention, don’t waste it. Use this opportunity to share a discount on their next order or announce something new that you’ll be releasing soon. The possibilities here are endless and can be very inexpensive.
- Tape – Clear packaging tape, right? These days you have some options of different coloured tape that can complement your custom packing and brand colours.
- Gift (or Gifts) – A small gift is an incredible way to surprise and delight customers and it will almost always impress. If you want to take this to the next level include an extra and encourage your customer to give it to a friend for an opportunity at word of mouth marketing.
Creating a memorable experience that leaves your customers delighted is a great way to distinguish your brand. With a little creativity, you can build your brand and gain a competitive edge over other businesses.
So, take some time over the next few days and reassess your packaging. Think about how much you’re spending, your average order size and profit margins, and decide what things you can do to deliver a better unboxing experience to your customers.